This nice Blogger theme is compatible with various major web browsers. You can put a little personal info or a welcome message of your blog here. Go to "Edit HTML" tab to change this text.
RSS

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tucson City Council Session

Within the next 2 weeks Tucson will take a vote on the potential ordinance to have it a misdemeanor to leave a child unattended in a car. I for one have fought for this. The reason why is that we lack the education that this is not an ok practice for anyone to get into.
This write is full of thoughts and emotion, so bear with me during the read.
I started reading through comments to see where the community stood on this ordinance and it was a struggle to say the least not to write back in those comments sections. So I gave plenty of thought and in this write, on my terms, I will share my thoughts.
I admire all those who get it. Thank you!!!
For those who don't get it, I can only say that you will never know this pain and what it is like to live in our shoes. Nor experience what a first responder experiences when they can't bring these innocent children back to life, or to see them near death.
Proactivity saves lives. Reactivity does little to save anyone, it is just an afterthought.
Proactivity is just like not speeding in a school zone.
To be a parent who has this happen and to feel let down by a judicial system that you thought would protect your innocent child is devastating. My husband once described it as feeling like your heart is ripped out of your chest and ran through a shredder and then someone burned the peices that are left.
Many just think that leaving the child in a running car to get a pack of gum can cause no harm, but when their car is stolen while they were not paying attention, how would they feel? Did you ever see the clip of the child being thrown in car seat out of the moving car on a highway by the car theif?
When their child gets in the front and set the car in motion running over an innocent by stander, would the just ignore it?
What if their child tried to open the window and say hello to peoplenearby or get their attention and accidentally hit the power switch strangulating themselves, how would they as a parent feel?
These rules are set into play to protect the innocent and we as a society don't pay enough attention to children. Many think that others will solve the problems for them.
I spoke with a county procesutor who told me once that when an animal is left in a car that he got hundreds of letters of outcry from the community, but when a child is left in a car he has yet to get a single letter. To me that speaks volumes.
We need to do a better job protecting our kids. Bottom line! We need better education in our communities and when I read the comments of some of the community, I realized how badly the education is needed.
We all as a community need to own what happens to our children.

No comments: