This nice Blogger theme is compatible with various major web browsers. You can put a little personal info or a welcome message of your blog here. Go to "Edit HTML" tab to change this text.
RSS

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Aslyn

For years I admired people who lived through a tragedy and wondered to myself how on earth they could turn tragedy into something so positive. John Walsh is one person that comes to my mind when he decided to turn his tragedy into an amazing change in society.
When the tragedy of losing Aslyn hit our home it was something that rocked our lives to the very core. It took some time for the reality to hit. It felt like you were living a nightmare and wanted to just wake up and things be OK. But we couldn't wake up because it was real.
The day after she died I woke up from a dream that she had hugged me around my face and kissed my forehead. On awakening it felt as though it were the most real thing. I could still feel where she kissed my forehead. I felt that was her way to say, "Mom I am OK, and I love you."
I called my aunt on the phone in the middle of the night bawling and asked her how on earth I could ever live without her. She told me, " honey, it won't be easy but you have to find a way to honor her."
So honor her was my mission.
Aslyn was a joy and the most pretty baby ever and I am so glad she was a part of my life.
When I came to my husband a few months into the loss and said, "I know you won't understand, but I have to do something about it. I can't let anyone else feel this pain. Leaving children in the car is something we see all the time and no one knows how dangerous it is" I was not expecting him to understand but he said OK. (He is more the behind the scenes kinda guy but he cheers me on.)
So off the journey went.
Sometimes it is hard to see where you have been because you are trudging onward and upward. I think we have had some incredible successes.
Well, really, each day is a success and every achievement we accomplish is a step in healing. Though the pain is always there, I find comfort in thinking that every time we tell her story and every time I take the time to educate someone, we save a life in her honor.
May sound Cheesy to some, but it is a way to get through each day for us moms and dads out there working hard to make sure no one else joins this club that no one wanted to be a part of.
Six years later, I have to say that I still miss her like you can't even imagine and wish she were here. I miss her squealing for joy just seeing me walk into the door from work and her sweet singing to the car radio from the back seat. I think she would be proud that we do everything we can to save other children.
So my close for the post...
Watch the Kids and Cars PSA and remember that kids shouldn't be left alone in a car..not even for a minute.

No comments: